Don’t you want a delicious muffin without the guilt? Well here it is!
This muffin is filled with nutritious goodness that you can feel good about feeding your family. I mean, they actually have protein in them!
Make and freeze for easy lunch box treats.
This recipe is grain free, gluten free, nut free, soy free, fat free, oil free, egg free, dairy free, vegan. Made in ONE BOWL!
Flourless Double Chocolate Muffins (vegan+gluten free)
Makes: 16 muffins (if you don’t have two muffin tins or prefer larger muffins, you can fill them fuller with batter and cook for slightly longer to make a dozen)
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup Garbanzo Bean/Chickpea Flour
- 3/4 cup Potato Starch (not flour)
- 1/4 cup Tapioca Starch (made from cassava a root vegetable)
- 1 cup Coconut Sugar (or sugar of choice)
- 1 Tbs Unsweetened Cocoa Powder*
- 1 tsp Xantha Gum
- 1 Tbs Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Flax Milk (or plant milk of choice*)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Mini Vegan Chocolate Chips*
- If you substitute the flax milk make sure you use a soy free, nut free plant milk if needed.
- To make these not double chocolate, omit the cocoa powder and add 1 additional teaspoon vanilla extract.
- To make these chocolate free, substitute the chocolate chips for chopped medjool dates, raisins or currants. Try adding a teaspoon of cinnamon to this combination.
- Preheat oven 350°F
- In a large bowl, Mix flours, sugar, baking soda & powder, xantha gum, salt.
- Make a hole in center of mix, pour apple sauce, milk, vanilla and mix a little in the center then slowly incorporate flour by mixing outwardly until well mixed but not over worked.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using muffin liners or lightly greased pans, scoop in batter 3/4th full.
- Sprinkle a little more sugar on top.
- Bake @350°F for 25 min. Test with a toothpick, should come out clean (minus a chocolate chip gooeyness!)
- Let cool completely
- To freeze, individually wrap in foil and place them all in a ziplock freezer bag. Good for 1 month. Take one out in the morning and defrost in lunch box, or microwave for 10 seconds!
- Can be stored for up to 1 week in refrigerator in air-tight container.
If you like healthy muffins, you may like these http://bellavirtue.com/eat/pina-colada-muffins-gluten-free-sugar-free-vegan/
Here in the Mama Bella kitchen we love hearing from you! Please leave your comments below! And let us know how our recipes turned out for you and your beautiful family.
You can also follow us at http://www.instagram.com/bellavirtueeat and on our Facebook page @bella virtue vegan.