Made with love for my family to yours. A hearty, nutrient dense, savory Plant Stew. Made with basic ingredients every vegan home cook has on hand.
This recipe is dedicated to my best friend, Beth (AKA Liza Jean, Auntie Bethie) who always loved my cooking, my family, and was my biggest supporter. She never met a stranger, she would give you her last 2 dollars and the shirt off her back, plus her pants! And not just because she loved flashing. My ride-or-die gal. We love you.
Plant Stew (gluten free + soy free)
MAKES: 3 QTS.
COOKING TIME: 30MIN
- 2 Cups Petite Diced Gold Potatoes
- 1 Cup Petite Diced Carrots
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Green Peas
- 2/3 Cup Dry Uncooked Quinoa
- 1 Cup Dry Uncooked Red Lentils
- 13.5 oz Can Light Coconut Milk*
- 32 oz Vegetable Broth
- 2 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbs Coconut Aminos*
- A few leaves/sprigs of fresh herbs finely minced or dried. About 1 tsp of each Parsley, Basil, Rosemary, Sage.
- 1 Tbs each, Garlic & Onion Granules.
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika or 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- Optional 2 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbs Lemon juice (after cooked)
- The Coconut Aminos can be substituted with tamari (gluten free) or soy sauce if not needing to be soy free.
- The addition of sliced baby bella Or white button mushrooms here would be an excellent way to add a nice meaty texture to this stew. My family isn’t fond of mushrooms so that’s why we don’t use them in the original recipe.
- The Coconut Milk must be canned and must be light. Light does not have a coconut taste to it. But adds a nice creamy element.
- In a large 5 quart pot, add all the ingredients. Tip: keep the red lentils and quinoa toward the top to prevent it sticking to bottom of pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover with lid, cook 30 minutes. Stir occasionally, especially at the beginning, to keep the red lentils off the bottom.
- If it thickens too much as it cools, add more broth or water.
- Add 1 Tbs lemon juice to pot.
- Serve with Salt & Pepper. Great with a side of warm gluten free vegan butter bread.
Here in the Mama Bella kitchen we love hearing from you! Please leave your comments below! And let us know how our recipes turned out for you and your beautiful family.
You can also follow us at www.instagram.com/bellavirtueeat and on our Facebook page @bella virtue vegan.