Growing up, my grandmother always made meatballs and pasta, along with a million other foods, for Sunday family dinner.
Before she could even finish frying them up, my grandfather, The Boss, would sneak one, ok maybe more than one, off the plate in the kitchen, where she set them on top of paper towels to cool and soak up some of the oil. It was layer upon layer of the paper towel meatball tower.
As much as we all can appreciate grandma’s cooking, it’s time for a healthy change, to create a new family tradition. Let’s keep what we learned from the classics but give them a new modern twist using plant based ingredients. So we can all live a long and prosperous life.
I guarantee, when I have grandma over for Sunday family dinner, who is now a great grandmother, she loves our Italian meatballs and I know your family will too.
Grandma’s Plant-Based Italian Meatballs
Makes: 20 golf-ball sized Meatballs
- 14-16 oz Plant-based Ground Meat
- 1/2 cup Flax Milk
- 1 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- In a large mixing bowl combine the seasoning and breadcrumbs.
- Add the plant based meat grounds to the bowl and mix with your hands (get in there just like grandma did, with all the love and sweat).
- Add the plant milk and mix some more until well combined.
- In a large deep skillet, heat some neutral oil, i like to use avocado oil, and add the meatballs. Cook till browned then turn using tongs until each side is browned.
- Simmer in your favorite pasta sauce until cooked through.
- Serve over pasta or on Italian bread as a meatball sub with our vegan parmesan.
Here in the Mama Bella kitchen we love hearing from you! Please leave your comments below! And let us know how our recipes turned out for you and your beautiful family.
You can also follow us at http://www.instagram.com/bellavirtueeat and on our Facebook page @bella virtue vegan.
Watch the YouTube Video at Bella Virtue Vegan Kitchen