For this pot pie i made the whole thing in one big stainless steel pan that can go right into the oven. If you don’t have a pan like this (or cast iron) do not fret, you can just transfer it into a greased baking dish to bake.
I found this great vegan puff pastry from aussie bakery out of Washington. My whole foods market carries it. If you can’t get a hold of this you can do a few different things; you can use Cresent rolls (many are vegan, immaculate brand to name one), you can use filo paper, or make drop biscuits, or thinly slice potatoes for the top, or just omit all together, and eat the filling, like my 6 year old does!
Pan Pot Pie, Vegan
Makes: 6 servings. Timing: 45 minutes
- 5 small red potatoes (size of kids fist)
- 14 oz package extra firm tofu
- 4 cups broccoli florets (i used frozen)
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots mix
- 3 Tbs flour
- 4 cups water
- 4 tsp vegetable bullion
- 2 tsp sage
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 3 tsp nutritional yeast
- 3 Tbs vegan butter (divided 2/1)
- Package of puff pastry (thawed but chilled)
- Salt to taste
- In a large skillet in medium heat with some oil, add diced potatoes (diced very small) and the frozen peas and carrots. Heat for a minute or two.
- Then add the dry flour and stir. Turn up the heat and slowly add the water and stir. When it starts to boil a little lower back to simmer.
- Add the bullion and seasonings and 2 Tbs butter (reserve 1 Tbs butter to brush the top of puff pastry) mix. Then add the drained and cubed tofu (very small. I sliced the block in fours thick-wise and then cubed it) and add the frozen broccoli.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F while you set timer for 15 minutes on simmer for the pan on the stove.
- Flour your surface and cut your puff pastry how you like; triangles, lattice strips, etc and arrange on top how ever you want. Then brush with remaining melted butter (1 Tbs). Sprinkle with some salt.
- Bake for whatever time your puff pastry says (until puffed and golden brown).
- Let cool.
- Salt to taste. Pepper if you like.
Here in the Mama Bella kitchen we love hearing from you! Please leave your comments below to let us know how our recipes turned out for you and your beautiful family.You can also follow us at
http://www.instagram.com/bellavirtueeat Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/bellavirtueeat/ YouTube at the Bella Virtue Vegan Kitchen https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOmCEAQ54a5RIoVyGOa8pVQ