I have such fond memories of eating this soup as a little girl with my dad.
He would always sing “I’m Popeye the Sailor Man, I’m strong to the finich, Cause I eats me spinach… ” and then flash his muscles. At that time he had a double muscle just like Popeye in the cartoon.
I was a daddy’s girl. His little princess. And I wanted to do everything he did, so if this was his favorite meal, then I wanted to eat it too.
Well even though it’s so simple, it packs great micronutrients, and my girls just love it too.
They are happily eating spinach and I’m one happy mama.
So without further ado, here is my vegan version of this childhood recipe, Dad’s Simple Spinach Soup
Makes: 6 servings. Time: 30 minutes.
- 12 cups water
- 6 tsp concentrated veggie bullion paste (better than bullion or the like)
- 1 cup carrot coins (about 3 carrots)
- 16 oz orzo or other pastina
- 3 Tbs nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup plant parmesan shreds *use the rest to serve
- 3 cups chopped baby spinach-5oz container
1.the sodium is high in the bullion, salt to taste only
2.Gluten free option- jovial cassava orzo or the like
3.the finer you chop the spinach the better for kiddos. But if you love spinach you can leave it whole. You can use frozen (chopped baby spinach)
Pro Tip: leftovers can absorb a lot of the broth, just add a little broth when you reheat it and then just some salt. It will be fine. Delish. Mangia
- Bring the water, bullion, and carrots to a boil. add the orzo, stirring until the water comes to a boil again, lower the heat to a simmer. Add the spinach , nooch (nutritional yeast), cover for 15 minutes. Add the parmesan right at the end. Garnish with more parmesan and serve with warm garlic butter bread
*after making this soup for my father. I have come to find out it’s a version of Stracciatella Soup. And you can add pastina in it if you like, which my dad always did.
I just made the soup exactly like he said to make it. So blame him if it’s not exactly right haha. Well, HE loved the way mine turned out for him on his 62nd birthday. And ate up the whole thing. And that makes my heart happy. I hope this soup does that for you too.
Here in the Mama Bella kitchen we love hearing from you! Please leave your comments below to let us know how our recipes turned out for you and your beautiful family.You can also follow us at
http://www.instagram.com/bellavirtueeat Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/bellavirtueeat/ YouTube at the Bella Virtue Vegan Kitchen https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOmCEAQ54a5RIoVyGOa8pVQ