I’ve been vegan for many years but I always made smashed chickpea salad instead.
I never liked the idea of raw cubed tofu.
But I finally broke down and bought that black sulpher salt everyone talks about that makes tofu taste and smell like eggs! Something I think I really didn’t want, haha, since that is probably one of the grossest parts about cooking eggs.
BUT…. I was wrong, because it really does do something in the brain to make the experience more like eggs. Especially for egg salad.
This recipe calls for sautéing the tofu, seasoning, mixing, refrigerating.
It’s so yummy!
Makes: 5 sandwiches (note* make ahead since it needs to chill one hour)
- 28 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup tamari/soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon course sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black salt (eggy sulpher flavor)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil for cooking
- 4 ribs celery cut small
- 2 Tablespoons vegan mayo
- Options: tomato slices, lettuce, rye or whole grain bread lightly toasted, or wrap, or on top of greens, extra mayo for the toast and more black salt and black pepper when served
- Heat lightly oiled pan, medium. Drain tofu. Crumble (note* i use a wide masher like in the reference picture, or use your hands or fork, keep chunky.
- Add all the seasonings in the ingredients list minus the mayo and celery. Heat thru until most water is absorbed.
- Pour in a lidded container, with the diced celery (note* see reference photo for tips on how to cut small) and mayo. Mix. Refrigerate. Up to one hour.
- Lightly toast your bread, spread more mayo, add tomatoes, lettuce, black pepper, the tofu egg, more black salt. Or make a wrap, or over greens