Did you grow up eating tater tot casserole and always wanted a healthier plant- based version of it? Yeah me neither! Haha! I never really heard of this Comfort Food casserole until recently, I was intrigued! Sounded fun! And I was up for the challenge to try and make it with as many healthy ingredients as possible while still sticking with the original cozy feel.
This recipe has peas and beans which give it plenty of protein, and it’s soaked in my cashew gravy recipe. I hope you enjoy. Look down below for a link to my the healthier cousin recipe of this one using whole potatoes, maybe make it next week to give life that beautiful balance.
- 32 oz Tater Tots (defrosted)
- 1.5 cups Green Peas
- 1 cup Carrots (petite diced or shreds)*
- 1.5 cups White Beans (drained)
- 1.5 cups Vegan Cheese Shreds*
- 4 cups Cashew Gravy (DOUBLE this recipe : http://bellavirtue.com/eat/cashew-gravy-oil-fee-soy-free-gluten-free/ )
* I like to use violife cheddar shreds. They are soy free, gluten free, and melt really well with a mild taste.
**The carrots need to be very small. When i photographed this recipe some of my carrots were not thin enough and had a slight crunch! So i advice you use shredded or dice them as small as you can. Then it will work out beautifully.
- Preheat oven 425°F
- **Take out your tater tots from freezer and let them defrost for couple hours** so you can smash them into the bottom of the dish and on the top. To keep them thin.
- Spray oil or parchment in a 9×13 casserole dish to prevent sticking.
- Cashew Gravy: you just need to blend it not heat it on stove. It will thicken in the casserole. (refer to this recipe and DOUBLE IT! http://bellavirtue.com/eat/cashew-gravy-oil-fee-soy-free-gluten-free/ )
- Rinse your beans, dice your carrots or use shredded or use frozen bag of peas and carrots.
- Casserole: layers (refer to pics)
- Smash tater tots on bottom of dish evenly. You will you use half (16oz)
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- White Beans
- Tater tots (smashed 16 oz)
- 1/2 cup cheese
- Cover tightly and bake 40 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes. Let sit on counter to rest 15 minutes. This will continue to cook everything.
Here in the Mama Bella kitchen we love hearing from you! Please leave your comments below! And let us know how our recipes turned out for you and your beautiful family.
YouTube at the Bella Virtue Vegan Kitchen https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOmCEAQ54a5RIoVyGOa8pVQ
If you like easy plant- based casseroles check out:
Nacho Potato Bake (this is the skinny cousin to this voluptuous recipe) http://bellavirtue.com/eat/cashew-%e2%80%8bnacho-potato-bake-oil-free-gluten-free-vegan/
Cheesy Cauliflower and Rice (reader favorite) http://bellavirtue.com/eat/cheesy-cauliflower-and-rice-casserole-vegan-gluten-free-fat-free/
PB Asian Noodle http://bellavirtue.com/eat/pb-asian-noodle-casserole/
Tuna Noodle Casserole http://bellavirtue.com/eat/easy-low-fat-tuna-noodle-casserole-whole-food-plant-based/
Jackfruit Potato Southwest Casserole ://bellavirtue.com/eat/jackfruit-potato-southwest-casserole-gfvgrain-free/