This low fat creamy pasta bake is perfect for a high carb low fat plant based diet. It’s super easy to put together.
Kids loves this meal. (You can add shredded nut cheese to melt on top if they prefer).
The sauce is made from beans, artichoke, and coconut milk. This combination makes for the perfect creamy mock tuna casserole! My husband grew up eating this Midwestern classic and he gives this Vegan version two thumbs up!
Easy Low-Fat Creamy Pasta Bake (whole food plant based)
Serving: 13×9 casserole
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Low Fat Creamy Sauce: 36 ounces
- 14oz can Artichoke Hearts (drained)
- 15.5oz can White Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 13.5oz can Light Coconut Milk (light has no coconut flavor)
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbs Avocado or Olive Oil (optional)
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Kelp Powder* (to taste for that sea flavor)
*The kelp powder is strong. I would use only 1/8th tsp in the sauce and blend. Taste. It gives that sea food flavor profile. You can omit if you don’t want it to taste fishy.
If you like the sea food taste then add a little more after you try 1/8th first.
- 16oz Whole Grain Pasta (we use corn/quinoa blend shells)
- 15oz can Sweet Green Peas (drained)
- Salt and Pepper on top
- Boil noodles aldente according to package, drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking.
- Preheat oven 375°F
- In the blender, add all the sauce ingredients and blend until smooth.
- In a 13×9 deep casserole dish, add the drained cooked pasta and the drained peas.
- Pour the sauce evenly covering all the noodles.
- Top the dish with Salt and pepper. (Top with vegan cheese if desired)
- Cover the casserole dish tightly with foil or a glass lid.
- Bake covered 20-30 minutes until bubbly, uncover and broil to brown the top 2 minutes or so.
- Serve with more sea salt to taste or vegan parmesean.