Serves: 4 Cooking Time: 50 minutes.
Sauce (makes 3.5 cups)
- 2/3 cup raw Cashews *(soaked)
- 1 15 ounce can Tomato Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1 Tbs Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- 2 cloves raw Garlic
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Coconut Sugar (or other sweetener)
- pinch of Cayenne Pepper (optional)
Lentils (takes 35 min)
- 1 cup dried Green Lentils
- 1/2 cup diced yellow Onion
- 2.5 cups Water
- 1 block Extra Firm Tofu **(pressed)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 8-10 Yukon Gold Potatoes
*if you aren’t using a high speed blender we recommend soaking your cashews a minimum of 4 hours or longer until they are soft and swollen, you can boil them for faster results.
**cut open and drain the water from your tofu, press for 15 min or so using either a tofu press or wrap in a towel with heavy plates on top (YouTube has quick videos) or don’t do this and your tofu will just be softer, no biggie!
- Preheat oven to 450° and bake potatoes for 30 to 45 minutes. ***alternatively you can cube the gold potatoes, add them in the pan with the lentils and an extra 1/2 cup of water and steam with the lid on.
- Lentils: in your big wide lidded one pan you will be using for this recipe, water saute diced onions until translucent (a few min). Add the water and lentils. Bring to a boil. Cover with lid and simmer on low for 35-40 minutes.
- Tofu: cube the drained and pressed tofu. When the lentils are tender, add the tofu and sprinkle with turmeric and sea salt.
- Sauce: in your blender combine all the sauce ingredients and blend until thick and smooth. Add the sauce to the pan. Stir, turn the heat to low-medium and cover with lid for another 10 minutes until well heated and combined.
- Serve: over baked potatoes, rice, or pasta. Season with Salt to taste.
If you enjoy Indian dishes check out:
Vegan Red Lentil Curryhttp://bellavirtue.com/eat/vegan-red-lentil-curry/
Baked Aloo Gobi Matar Curry (GF+V)http://bellavirtue.com/eat/baked-aloo-gobi-matar-curry-gfv/
Here in the Mama Bella kitchen we love hearing from you! Please leave your comments below! And let us know how our recipes turned out for you and your beautiful family.
YouTube at the Bella Virtue Vegan Kitchen https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOmCEAQ54a5RIoVyGOa8pVQ