This Polenta Pie is delightful. It’s pretty to serve to guest and for holidays. It has mild to no spice so it’s great for kids too. It’s seven layers of delishesness and fairly easy to make. It’s just layered like a lasagna. Instead of boiling noodles, you will be cooking the polenta. And making a plant based cheese sauce! With simple ingredients. I had my wonderfully inquisitive Two year old Sous Chef in the kitchen every step of the way. I couldn’t keep her from eating all the soaking cashews!
Check it out…
Seven Layer Mexican Polenta Pie (mild to no heat)
Makes: Two 9.5 inch Pies or One 13×9 Casserole. Cooking Time: 45 minutes total.
Polenta: (takes 15 min. to make)
- 1 1/2 cups Polenta Grits
- 5 cups water
- 1 15 ounce can Black Beans
- 1 15 ounce can Pinto Beans
- 1/2 cup diced Red Onion (~1/2 onion)
- 1/2 cup diced fresh Tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded Romaine Lettuce
- 1 Tbs mild Chili Powder Blend
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- ~2 cups Enchilada Sauce (we like the 365 brand. It’s oil free)
- ~2 cups vegan Cheese Sauce (homemade)
- 3/4 cup soaked raw cashews
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbs Arrowroot Powder (or cornstarch to thicken)
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (for color)
- 1/2 paprika (for color)
- 2 Tbs Nutritional Yeast (optional)
*soak cashews for a minimum of a few hours until they are soft and swollen, or boil them. If you have a high speed blender then you don’t need to soak.
- Cook your Polenta: In a medium sized lidded pot, bring 5 cups water & a pinch of sea salt to a boil, whisk in 1.5 cups polenta grits. Let it resume a boil, then lower to a medium heat for 5 minutes, give it a stir and remove from heat with the lid on for 10 more minutes.
- Make your Cheese Sauce: in your blender combine soaked cashews, water, apple cider vinegar, arrowroot, garlic, salt, turmeric. Blend until smooth.
- Layer your Pies: Preheat oven to 375°
- In your casserole dish or pie plates, transfer the cooked polenta spread evenly to make a bottom layer to your pie.
- Layer the enchilada sauce evenly on top of the polenta. (diveded equally if using 2 pies).
- Layer the drained canned beans next. Then season with chili powder, oregano, cumin, and sea salt if needed.
- Layer with your homemade cheese sauce.
- Top with diced onion.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Bubbly and Cheese lookes thicker and darker.
- Let cool slightly and serve with chopped lettuce and tomatoes on top. Guacamole, Vegan Sour Cream, & Hot Sauce for THREE extra layers if you dare! Enjoy!