This Polenta Pie is delightful. It’s pretty to serve to guest and for holidays. It has mild to no spice so it’s great for kids too. It’s seven layers of delishesness and fairly easy to make. It’s just layered like a lasagna Instead of boiling noodles, you will be cooking the polenta. And making a plant based cheese sauce with simple ingredients. I had my wonderfully inquisitive two-year-old Sous Chef in the kitchen every step of the way. I couldn’t keep her from eating all the soaking cashews!
Check it out…
Seven Layer Mexican Polenta Pie (mild to no heat)
Makes: Two 9.5 inch Pies or One 13×9 Casserole. Cooking Time: 45 minutes total.
Polenta: (takes 15 min. to make)
- 1 1/2 cups Polenta Grits
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs Olive oil
- 1 15 ounce can Black Beans
- 1 15 ounce can Pinto Beans or refried beans
- 1 cup shredded Romaine Lettuce
- 1 Tbs mild Chili Powder Blend
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 cups Enchilada Sauce or my homemade Enchilada sauce!
- 2 cups vegan Cheese Sauce (homemade) or store bought shredded.
- Optional toppings:
- Red Onion
- Mild salsa
- Vegan sour cream
- 1 avocado
- corn scoops or crushed tortilla chips
- Sliced black olives
- Sliced mild jalapeños
- 3/4 cup soaked raw cashews*
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbs Arrowroot Powder (or cornstarch to thicken)
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (for color)
- 1/2 paprika (for color)
- 2 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
*soak cashews for a minimum of a few hours until they are soft and swollen, or boil them. If you have a high speed blender then you don’t need to soak.
- Cook your Polenta: In a medium sized lidded pot, bring 5 cups water to a boil, whisk in 1.5 cups polenta grits, oil and seasoning . Let it resume a boil, then lower to a medium- low heat for 5 minutes, give it a stir and remove from heat with the lid on for 10 more minutes.
- Make your Cheese Sauce: in your blender combine soaked cashews, water, apple cider vinegar, arrowroot, garlic, salt, turmeric. Blend until smooth.
- Layer your Pies: Preheat oven to 420°F
- In your oiled casserole dish or pie plates, transfer the cooked polenta spread evenly to make a thin bottom layer to your pie. You can go up the edges too if you like.
- Layer the enchilada sauce evenly on top of the polenta. (divided equally if using 2 pies).
- Layer the drained & rinsed canned beans and seasoning.
- Layer with the homemade cheese sauce or shreds.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes. Bubbly and Cheese lookes thicker and darker.
- Let cool. This is even good served room temp or slightly chilled!
- Top with chopped lettuce, salsa, diced avocado, vegan sour cream, olives, jalapeños if you like, even hot sauce.
- Here is one I made for a cinco de mayo pool party. That’s tofutti brand sour cream, I also love kite hill almond sour cream or make your own cashew one! And organic seasoned corn scoops from sprouts farmers market.