This tomato soup is made with whole boiled roma tomatoes, creamy cashews, and a sweet caramelized roasted red bell pepper.
Okay so at first glance this may seem intimidating. Yes it has a lot of steps, but I assure you they are not complicated. This is a soup to impress, all made from scratch. With a depth of flavor any restaurant would be honored to serve. Your guests, or your family will be delighted, or hell, just make it for yourself, you deserve a nice meal!
STEP 1 (ignore the glazed carrots, that was just the chef’s snack, ha!)
Creamy Whole Tomato Soup with Cashews and Roasted Red Pepper
Makes: 5 cups (40 ounces) 3 servings
Cooking Time: 40 minutes and 30 minutes (divided. Plus soaking cashews overnight if needed)
- 11 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Roasted
- 1 small Yellow Onion
- 1/3 cup Raw Unsalted Cashews*
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 2 Tbs Fresh Chopped Italian Parsley
- 1 Tbs Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tbs Coconut Aminos
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
*if you aren’t using a high speed blender, soak the cashews overnight in water in a dish on your counter until they are soft and swollen, or boil them on your stove for 40 minutes. Drain.
- Step 1: (can be done earlier in the week or that day and refrigerated in a container) Preheat oven to 450°F. Roast the bell pepper whole for about 30-40 minutes, flipping half way, until it’s blackened (see pic). Let cool or rinse under cold water, peel the skin off with your hand (should come right off). Pull the stem out. Set roasted pepper aside.
- Step 2: Score the Roma tomatoes by lightly cutting just the skin down both sides. Bring a pot of water to boil. Carefully scoop in the tomatoes with a slotted spoon. Boil for 6 minutes until the skin is falling off (see pic). Spoon out the tomatoes and run them under cold water. Let cool. Peel off the skins (should slide right off). Cut the stems off.
- Step 3: In a large skillet on medium -high heat, dry sautee the roughly diced onion to carmelize without oil. Resist the urge to fuss with it and allow the onion to brown before flipping it around the pan. Add the boiled and skinned tomatoes. And smash and chop them up with your spoon. Add the balsamic, coconut aminos, parsley, and some salt and pepper. Let it all cook down for about 15 minutes. First on medium high, then lower to simmer and meld all the flavors.
- Step 4: In a blender, add the 1 1/2 cups water, slightly cooled cooked tomatoes and onion, the roasted red bell pepper, and the cashews. Blend until smooth.
- Step 5: Heat in a pot (use the same pot as the one you boiled the tomatoes in) on medium low, stirring and careful not to burn the bottom. Serve with vegan grilled cheese sandwiches or yummy warm crusty bread. Enjoy!