This classic and comforting soup is now gluten free and vegan. And uses all whole food ingredients.
It’s made using the Instant Pot pressure cooker and can be blended right in the same pot using an immersion blender for easy clean up!
If all you have is a big pot and an old-school blender, then this recipe is for you too! Instructions are below.
If you’re looking for another delicious fall soup check out our Creamy Whole Tomato Soup with Cashews and Roasted Red Pepper
Reference Images of Ingredients & Cooking Steps:
Use 2.5 pounds (half the bag)
This is the size of my potatoes and this is how many I used. They were very small.
Put a steamer basket in the bottom
Add 1 cup water. Can use this water in the recipe if using a hand mixer.
With skinned Russets
Manual 20 min with quick release
The size garlic I use
When potatoes are done. Transfer to blender. Or Use a hand mixer
Transfer blended soup back to instant pot to keep warm.
You can make polenta cubes for the top of the soup or roasted cauliflower
I just use the toaster oven and bake 450°F 30-40 min.
Instant Pot (or stove top) Cream of Potato Soup, GF+V
Cooking Time: less than 1 hour (30 min of hands off cooking)
- 2.5 pounds Yukon Gold or Russet Potatoes (skinned)
- 3 Carrots Skinned (optional)
- 13.5 oz Light Coconut Milk (light has no coconut flavor. Don’t use full fat)
- 3.5 cups Vegetable Broth (or use 2.5 cups + the 1 cup of water you steamed the potatoes in)
- 2 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbs Tahini
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Salt (add more when serving)
- 1 Garlic Clove or 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Baked Polenta Cubes or Roasted Cauliflower
- Vegan Cheese Shreds (it’s not necessary, this soup is amazing without, but for dinner guests and kids you can certainly jazz it up with some shreds (I like parmela aged cashew brand or daiya, Both are GF+Soy-Free)
- Salt & Pepper, Fresh or Dried Flat Parsley
Instant Pot Soup
- Wash and skin the potatoes.
- In the Instant Pot, place a steamer basket and 1 cup water (you can use that water if your blending directly in the pot with an immersion blender).
- Stack the potatoes and close the lid. Set the vent to sealing. Manual 20 minutes with quick release of the steam when it beeps.
- In a blender add the remaining ingredients plus the cooked potatoes (you may need to blend in two batches. If so, transfer the potatoes to a dish, take out the steamer tray and dump the water (use a mitten), then tranfer the blended batches back into the Instant Pot to keep warm. **if you have an immersion blender (hello Christmas list!) then you can easily remove the strainer from the pot and add all the ingredients (less 1 cup of broth because of the water), smash potatoes & carrots with potato masher first, then blend till smooth. If it’s too thick, add more broth. Adjust to add seasoning if needed.
- Serve with salt & pepper and vegan cheese shreds if you want Top with Baked Polenta Cubes or Roasted Cauliflower!
Baked Polenta Cubes
- Cube the polenta and place on a parchment lined tray.
- Season with salt & pepper, parsley, garlic & onion powder. (Nutritional Yeast (nooch) would also be good on these).
- Bake 450°F for about 40 minutes until crisp.
- Use a large head of cauliflower, washed and cut small or use frozen.
- On a parchment lined tray, bake at 420° F for 30 min, until browned. i like them well done so I broil a couple minutes at the end. Seasoned with salt & pepper, onion & garlic powder if you like. And you can spray with some oil (I like avocado) if you prefer or make them oil free.
Stove Top Soup
- Cube and skin the potatoes (and carrots if using) into small pieces so they boil faster, (you can also do this for a chunky version by removing some of the veggies with a slotted spoon before blending then add back in.) Fill a big qt pot with water to cover the potatoes and boil with lid on, until fork tender (about 20 min once boiling). Strain the water and continue with instant pot directions #4-6. Or boil in the broth and use an immersion blender.
If you like Instant Pot recipes check out this one next:
Here in the Mama Bella kitchen we love hearing from you! Please leave your comments below! And let us know how our recipes turned out for you and your beautiful family.
You can also follow us at http://www.instagram.com/bellavirtueeat and on our Facebook page
And on YouTube at the Bella Virtue Vegan Kitchen