This potato bake is delicious-cheesy-goodness. And no cholesterol! no oil! whole food plant based.
NOW WITH A FAT FREE CHEESE OPTION!!! For those on a high carb low fat plant based diet, this is the perfect easy casserole.
If you want it even lighter you can use cauliflower instead of potatoes. (With cauliflower you will bake the same way but baking time may vary slightly. Test readiness with a fork and adjust baking time)
And if your looking to impress your dinner guests then go for the creamy cashew cheese recipe and the filling potatoes option!
notes and reference pics:
potatoes sliced thin
you can use a mandolin like this one on thick slices or knife cut
drained corn and beans
look at all that colorful micronutrients
topped with healthful plant cheese
baked to perfection. Yum
Serves: deep 9×13 casserole dish.
Cooking Time: 1 hour+15 minutes (plus raw cashews soaked in water at least 5 hours- up to 24 hours, if you don’t have a high speed blender, or boiled for 1 hour)
Cashew Cheese *makes 2 cups (fat free cheese recipe below)
- 1 1/2 cups raw Cashews (soaked in water until they are very soft and swollen, 5-24hrs or boiled for 1hr if you do not have high speed blender)
- 1 1/4th cups Water
- 3 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbs Arrowroot Powder (do not sub for tapioca. Cornstarch okay)
- 1 small Garlic clove
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 Tbs Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- 1 Tbs Avocado Oil (optional)
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
Fat Free Cheese Sauce option:
- 3 medium Yukon Gold Potatoes (skinned and quartered)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 small red bell pepper (stem and seeds removed)
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tbs mild chickpea miso
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 2 tsp sea salt (or more for that salty cheesy taste)
- 6-8 small Russet Potatoes (skin on, sliced thin/scalloped)
- 1 small Bell Pepper (diced, I used orange)
- 1/2 red Onion (diced)
- 15.5 ounce can Vegetarian Fat Free Refried Beans (no oil, no lard)
- 15.5 ounce can Black Beans (drained, rinsed)
- 15.5 ounce can Sweet Yellow Corn
- 4 ounce can mild Diced Green Chile
- Jalapenos optional for added heat.
- Sea Salt to taste
Siracha Tahini Drizzle (omit if fat free, sub for hot sauce)
- 2 Tbs Tahini (just sesame seeds, no oil)
- 1 Tbs Siracha
- Water (enough to thin it out to desired consistency)
Tip! Prepare the cheese sauce ahead of time. I usually make it and freeze to have on hand whenever I need. Which is always, ha!
- Cashew Cheese: while the potatoes are baking make the cheese. Drain the water from the soaked cashews. Add all ingredients into the blender. Blend until smooth. Adjust sea salt to desired taste.
- Fat Free Cheese Option: boil the potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, and onion until potato is soft (about 10 minutes). Drain water and transfer veggies to blender. Add remaining ingredients to blender with 1 1/2 cups water to thin it out. Blend until smooth.
- Nacho Bake: Preheat oven 400°F.Slice the potatoes and dice the veggies, open and drain all the cans.In a 9×13 casserole dish, Add a few Tbs of water or broth to the bottom. Layer on the scalloped potatoes, beans, veggies, onion, some cheese sauce. Season with some sea salt. Generously cover the whole dish with the rest of the cheese sauce. Cover with foil tightly to soften and sort of steam everything. Bake for 60 minutes.Uncover and bake additional 12 minutes until bubbly and browned slightly. Let rest before serving.
- Siracha Tahini Drizzle: in a small bowl mix tahini and siracha together. Then add a little bit of water at a time till you reach desired consistency. Serve drizzled with creamy Siracha Tahini and some Green Onions. Season with Sea Salt to taste.