ahhhh this potato bake is delicious cheesy goodness. And no cholesterol! no oil! whole food plant based.
If you want it even lighter you can use cauliflower instead of potatoes. (With cauliflower you will bake the same way but baking time may be slightly longer to get soft florets. Test readiness with a fork and adjust baking time)
Cashew Nacho Potato Bake (oil free, gluten free, vegan)
Serves: 6, 9×13 casserole dish.
Cooking Time: 30-45 minutes (plus cashews soaked in water at least 5 hours, up to 24 hours, if you don’t have a high speed blender)
- 1 cup raw Cashews (soaked in water until they are very soft and swollen)
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 1 1/2 tsp Arrowroot Powder (do not sub for tapioca. Cornstarch okay)
- 4 ounce can Jalapenos with the juice
- 2 small Garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 6 small Russet Potatoes (skin on, sliced thin/scalloped)
- 1 small Bell Pepper (diced, I used orange)
- 1/2 red Onion (diced)
- 15.5 ounce can Vegetarian Fat Free Refried Beans (no oil, no lard)
- 15.5 ounce can Black Beans (drained, rinsed)
- 4 ounce can mild Diced Green Chile
- 4 ounce can Sliced Black Olives
- 2 stalks Green Onion (diced)
- Sea Salt to taste
Siracha Tahini Drizzle
- 2 Tbs Tahini (just sesame seeds, no oil)
- 1 Tbs Siracha
- Water (enough to thin it out to desired consistency)
- Preheat oven 400°
- In a 9×13 casserole dish, Add a few Tbs of water or broth to the bottom. Layer on the scalloped potatoes and diced bell peppers and red onion. Season with sea salt. Cover with foil tightly to soften and sort of steam everything. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cashew Cheese: while the potatoes are baking make the cheese. Drain the water from the soaked cashews. Add all ingredients into the blender. Blend until smooth. Adjust sea salt to desired taste.
- Siracha Tahini Drizzle: in a small bowl mix tahini and siracha together. Then add a little bit of water at a time till you reach desired consistency.
- Potato Bake: when the potatoes are done baking, uncover and layer the remaining ingredients. Scoop spoonfuls of refried beans all over, sprinkle black beans, layer the cheese sauce, add the toppings of green chiles and olives. Wait to add the green onion and siracha tahini.
- Put it all back in the oven uncovered for 10-15 minutes. Until bubbly and browned slightly. (You can broil for a few minutes at the end if you wish).
- Drizzle with creamy Siracha Tahini and Green Onion. Season with Sea Salt to taste. Enjoy!