This Southern hearty and creamy Soup is filling and comforting and it’s also easy to make! It really has a great depth of flavor. Wow!
This dish is whole food plant based, oil free, soy free, gluten free, low fat.
We served ours with Southern Baked Hushpuppies! (Link below) Our toddler loved dropping her hushpuppies in her soup bowl and crushing them in every bite!
Southern Creamy Red Lentil Vegetable Soup
Serving: 6 (makes 3 quarts) Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups dried Red Lentils
- 2 15 ounce cans Light Coconut Milk
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth (oil free, low sodium)
- 1 can Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup Corn (frozen or canned)
- 4 Celery Sticks (diced small)
- 2 Carrots (diced small)
- 1/2 medium Onion (diced, red, yellow, or white)
- 4 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp Sweetener (maple syrup or whole sugar)
- 1/2 tsp Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Sage
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 pinch Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Dice all the veggies.
- In a large lidded pot, saute the onions and garlic with the seasoning and sweetner (minus the lemon juice) a few minutes until semi translucent (using either water, broth, or some coconut milk)
- Add the rest of the veggies, the coconut milks, the broth, the red lentils. Stir and bring to a boil. Then lower to simmer and with the lid on cook for 20 minutes. Check to see the lentils are tender.
- Add the lemon juice and remove from heat.
- Season with more Sea Salt to taste and Serve with Whole Grain Rice, Bread, Pita, or these amazing Baked Hushpuppies http://thevegan8.com/2015/08/17/vegan-baked-oil-free-hushpuppies/