This baked frittata made with blended tofu scramble and topped with seiten sausage all on a creamy cashew hashbrown bake is the perfect casserole to make for holiday brunch or to take to an event.
It’s so easy to make and bake ahead of time and just reheat early Christmas morning for the best warm holiday memories.
Growing up in our Italian home it was a holiday tradition to fry up a frittata for everyone to enjoy. This healthier version is baked and cholesterol free! What a wonderful wholesome gift to give your family.
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashews (if you don’t have a high speed blender, soaked in water overnight or boiled for 1 hour until soft and swollen)
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder or fresh minced
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tbs nutritional yeast
- 16 ounce bag frozen no oil hashbrowns (mostly thawed) or 2 cups skinned and shredded russet potatoes.
- 1 block firm tofu (drained)
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (for color)
- 1/2 cup cashew cream (that you made above. Only 1/2 cup of it)
- 2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup diced vegan sausage*(see note)
- Green onion for garnish
*I used a homemade seiten sausage that I batch cooked and froze for ease of use. Then I just defrosted it overnight in the fridge for this recipe. Here is the simple italian sausage recipe by Isa Chandra http://www.isachandra.com/2012/01/vegan_sausage/
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Cashew Cream: Drain the soaked cashews and add them to your blender along with the remaining cashew cream ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Hashbrowns: in the 13×9 casserole dish, first add the thawed shredded hashbrowns.
- Evenly pour the cashew cream onto the hashbrowns (RESERVING 1/2 CUP OF CREAM LEFT IN THE BLENDER FOR THE FRITTATA!)
- Frittata: drain the tofu and break it up into fifths and add it to the cream in the blender. Add the remaining frittata seasoning (not the sausage, spinach or green onion yet). Blend until well combined.
- Casserole Bake Layers: on top of the hashbrowns with the cashew cream, add half the chopped spinach.
- Pour half the blended frittata evenly.
- Add a second layer of spinach and include the sausage.
- Pour the remainder of the blended frittata.
- Sprinkle on Salt and Pepper and bake covered 35 minutes. Uncovered another 20 to 25 minutes until the center is firm and the top is golden brown.
- Top with diced green onions and season with salt to taste.
*makes a great meal train casserole or a make and bake, reheat.
Here in the Bella Virtue Vegan Kitchen we love hearing from you! Please leave your comments below! And let us know how our recipes turned out for you and your beautiful family.
You can also follow us at
on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/bellavirtueeat/
And on YouTube at the
Bella Virtue Vegan Kitchen https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOmCEAQ54a5RIoVyGOa8pVQ