This is our easy go-to dinner to make INSTEAD of eating out but without a lot of fuss. In fact, hubby usually makes this dish for us so mama can have a night off. It’s so easy!
It’s high in protein, micronutrients, and very filling. And kid approved!
Add a giant family sized bag of frozen broccoli florets.
Adding green lentil to this dish is so easy and healthy.
Just throw in a cup of dry lentils to the boiling water and cook for 20 minutes before adding the noodles.
Strain all together and pair with your favorite marinara.
sprinkle on some vegan parmesean (link to homemade or store bought)
My toddler loves this meal!
- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils
- 16 ounce pasta (gluten free if desired)
- 32 ounce bag frozen broccoli florets
- 2 25 ounce jars of marinara sauce (use fat-free variety for oil-free. We like trader Joe’s organic fat free) or this recipe! http://bellavirtue.com/eat/oil-free-marinara/
- Vegan Parmesean
- bring an extra large pot of water to a boil. Add the lentils and cook for at least 20 minutes. They need to burst open a little and begin to soften. Better to over-cook than to have hard lentils and over-cooked noodles.
- You can boil your broccoli in the same pot. boiling takes about 6 minutes. Add after or before your pasta depending on your pasta cook time.
- Boil your noodles all together in the pot with the lentils. Cook according to package time.
- Drain all together.
- Pour back into large pot and add the marinara to the hot pasta. (Reserve some extra sauce in jar in the fridge for leftovers to make saucey again!)
- Top with vegan parmesean.