We love to make this quiche for the holidays! Especially for Easter! I grew up having quiche at Easter Brunch, so i wanted to bake a plant-based, cholesterol free, healthier version for the modern family!
This quiche is packed with legume protein and micronutrient rich veggies. Serve it in two pretty round pie crusts for a crowd pleasing fancy brunch, or just in a simple casserole dish for the family.
This recipe is soy free and can be made gluten free by omitting the crust or finding a gluten free recipe to swap it for.
It’s pretty simple to make the quiche part, and if you want to make it even simpler, you can buy a premade pie crust to use! Or omit the crust all together.
Veggie Chickpea Quiche
makes: 9×13 casserole or 2 round pies
- 2 3/4 cup Chickpea Flour (besan)
- 3 cups Water
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tbs Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbs Onion Powder
- 1 Tbs Parsley Flakes
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Sage
- 1 1/2 cups Frozen Broccoli Florets
- 1 Bell Pepper (red, orange, or yellow)
- 1 cup Frozen Baby Spinach
*note: you can add a cup of shredded vegan cheese if you like. You can also add cooked vegan sausage or bacon. And can experiment with any veggies you like. You can also omit any oil if you prefer, it will just be a bit drier and you will want to leave off the buttery crust too.
Flaky Crust (optional)
- 3 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup Vegan Butter (miyokos or soy free earth balance)
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup Ice Water (no ice)
- Veggies: Preheat oven 420°F to roast the veggies. Dice up the bell peppers. You’re going to roast the veggies in 3 stages. In a parchment lined tray, roast the frozen broccoli (lightly oiled and salted) for 15 minutes. Then add the diced peppers on top and bake another 15 minutes. Lastly add the spinach and bake another 15 minutes. Season with salt.
- Quiche: Preheat oven 400°F. In a large mixing bowl combine the chickpea flour and seasonings, mix, then add the water and oil and wisk well to get out all lumps. Fold in the roasted veggies. Set aside to make the crust.
- Flaky Crust: in a large CHILLED mixing bowl, add the flour. Cut in with a fork the shortening and butter. Drizzle a few tablespoons at a time of the ice water as you bring the dough together. Form in a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough as best you can in the shape of your quiche dish, transfer to an OILED dish and press it in with your fingers evenly. Poke vent holes with a fork along the crust (about 8)
- Pour the chickpea batter on top. Bake for 40 minutes (checking it is done) let rest 20 minutes before serving.
Here in the Mama Bella kitchen we love hearing from you! Please leave your comments below! And let us know how our recipes turned out for you and your beautiful family.
You can also follow us on our Facebook page @bella virtue vegan.
And on instagram
And on YouTube at the Bella Virtue Vegan Kitchen