Kite Hill Cream Cheese was on sale this week. So I picked up two not knowing exactly what i wanted to make with it. We used some just to eat with toast but I still had 1 tub left. I decided i would try and recreate chicken and cream cheese enchiladas in a whole food plant based way! Woohoo!
Especially it is my hubby’s birthday and he always loved that dish at the Mexican restaurant we used to frequent.
- Whole Wheat or Corn Tortillas (8 small)
- Extra Firm Organic Tofu
- Enchilada Sauce (mild. 15.5 oz)
- Tahini (2 Tbs)
- Can of diced tomato and green chili (strained)
- Vegan Cream Cheese (8oz)
- Mexican Seasoning ( 1/4tsp thyme or oregano, 2 tsp garlic and 2 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp sea salt)
- Poultry seasoning for the tofu
- Garnish with Red Onion and Fresh Cilantro (optional)
- 1 can or 2 cups homemade Black beans
- 1 tbs Lime
- Sea salt
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Mexican Seasoning (cumin, garlic and onion powder, salt, lime juice)
- One can diced tomato and green chili
- Fresh cilantro or frozen cubed cilantro
This Enchilada sauce is oil free, salt free, sugar free! (Vegan and Fat Free) And tasty!
Press (in a tofu press for 15 minutes) and Cube the tofu. Lay out on parchment lined tray. Season with poultry seasoning and sea salt and bake at 425° for 25 minutes till browned.
When you take out the baked tofu, lower the temp of the oven to 375°.
In a bowl add the vegan cream cheese and smash with a fork, then add the STRAINED can of diced tomato and green chili. With mexican seasoning. Mix. Then add the slightly cooled off baked tofu. And mix.
in a bowl (i used the same bowl i mixed the enchilada sauce in) mix 3 cups cooked brown rice, one can diced tomato and green chili, 1 tbs lime juice, cilantro, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp sea salt. (This rice turned out amazing! Hubby loved it!)
Rice tip: batch cook the Brown rice a few hours earlier in your rice cooker and let sit on warm, or days in advance, keep in lidded container in fridge and reheat with a few tsp water and a microwave safe lid to steam it up again. )
just fork smash cooked and drained canned black beans, heated up with 1 tbs lime juice and sea salt. (These were simple but flavorful)