This Sauce is Great with our Vegan Penne di Crema Pomodoro recipe link HERE
- 24 ounces plain tomato sauce (no salt added preferred)
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes (no salt added preferred)
- 1/2 diced medium yellow or sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbs dried basil
- 1.5 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp sweetener (i prefer either sucanat or maple syrup)
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp Sea Salt to taste
- A few pinches red pepper flakes
- 1 cup of water (to saute’)
- Vegan Parmesean (optional) link HERE
- Heat a wide dry pan on medium/high heat.
- Drip some of the water and it should sizzle.
- Add a tbs or 2 of water and the diced onion and minced garlic. Cook til translucent a few minutes. Add a tiny bit more water if needed to keep pan from drying out.
- Add the seasoning minus the sugar and salt.
- Add the diced tomatoes and the sugar and lower the heat to stew a minute.
- Add the tomato sauce. Turn up the heat to a small bubbly boil then lower to simmer, stirring.
- Add the salt and taste. Adjusting more if needed. (I prefer to have the individual guest add their own salt to taste when served if needed)
- The longer you let this sauce simmer the better it is. Some Italian grandmothers would let it cook all day in a lidded pan on the stove.
I like this glass jarred organic strained tomatoes
Here is a picture of the seasonings i use. I love muir glen petite diced organic tomatoes, bpa free can.
Organic sucanat whole cane sugar is a great non refined sweetener option. Date sugar would also work. But i would use maybe a little more of it since it’s less sweet.
Here is the sauce with diced zucchini in it. Ready for our Vegan Penne di Crema Pomodoro recipe.