Take your favorite jarred marinara and jazz it up with this pink sauce recipe for the family! loaded with yummy veggies and protein packed beans!
I used 3 of these zucchinis and saved one for fudgy zucchini brownies for dessert! http://thevegan8.com/2017/04/14/vegan-zucchini-fudgy-brownies/
- 3 Zucchinis (medium sized)
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 1 Can Cannellini Beans (drained)
- 1 Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 25 Ounce Jar of Marinara (for oil free we like Trader Joe’s organic fat-free marinara) TO MAKE YOUR OWN OIL FREE MARINARA CLICK HERE!
- 16 Ounces of Penne (we used gluten-free corn/quinoa blend noodles, they are so good!)
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Vegan Parmesean (optional) link HERE
For the white cream sauce:
- 1/2 Cup Raw Cashews (soaked for a couple hours)
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 2 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tbs Brown Rice Flour (can sub arrowroot flour or corn starch)
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Cook noodles according to package.
- Dice onion and water saute’ using a couple tbs of water (keep a cup of water by the pan to add as the pan dries out). Water should sizzle when it hits the hot pan.
- use the red pepper flakes to desired heat. (I use about 2 pinches)
- Dice the zucchini small and add. Cook til translucent.
- Add the can of tomatoes and let stew together.
- Add the jarred or homemade marinara, bring to a small bubbly, then lower heat to simmer.
- Make the White cream sauce using soaked cashews (should be soft and swelled from soaking). Drain and add to blender with the rest of the white cream sauce ingredients. Blend till smooth.
- Add the white cream sauce, the white beans to the pan.
- Bring to a a little bubbly boil then turn off heat while stirring so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
“I took a taste! It has beans! Beans are good for me!” Proclaimed my two year old. I have never said that to her. She’s one smart cookie. Model healthy habits and they will follow suit.
Some Pics for Reference and Notes:
My husband LOVED this hearty meal and said it tastes so good! like day-old casserole. He ate THREE bowls! Enjoy!