These Buckwheat Oat Muffins are delicious and nutritious! Great for kids and anyone who is health conscious.
Buckwheat flour and Oats are high in protein, and the health benefits are astounding. Both are heart healthy grains used to reverse heart disease symptoms like high cholesterol and fat clogged arteries. They are both low glycemic foods and are gluten free. Buckwheat has also been studied to prevent gallstones and colon cancer.
The ingredients in these are simple. We added vegan chocolate chips to ours, always a big hit with kids. Feel free to sub the chocolate chips with chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans, or dried fruits like currants or chopped dates.
Buckwheat Oat Muffins (vegan, gluten free, heart healthy)
MAKES: 24 muffins
- 2 cups gluten free oat flour
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 15 oz can pumpkin, scant
- 1 3/4 cups plant milk
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs coconut oil (optional)
- 1 cup coconut or organic white sugar
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup mini vegan chocolate chips or chopped nuts like walnuts, pecans, or dried fruit like currants, chopped dates)
- Preheat oven 350°F
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients. Mix. Fold in the chocolate chips,or nuts etc.
- Scoop the batter into paper- lined or greased muffin tins. Fill 3/4 way high. Top with additional chips or nuts.
- Bake for about 25- 30 min. Test with toothpick. Cook through. Let cool completely to finish cooking.
*Freeze up to 1 month, fridge for 1 week, counter for few days.
Here in the Mama Bella kitchen we love hearing from you! Please leave your comments below! And let us know how our recipes turned out for you and your beautiful family.
You can also follow us at http://www.instagram.com/bellavirtueeat and on our Facebook page @bella virtue vegan.