Homemade Fat Free Vegan Cheese Sauce that is nut free, soy free, corn free, oil free. This fits a Whole Starch Low Fat Diet.
Makes: 5 cups cheese sauce
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
CHEESE SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 3 medium Yukon Gold Potatoes (skinned and quartered)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 small red bell pepper (stem and seeds removed)
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tbs mild chickpea miso
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 2 tsp sea salt (or more for that salty cheesy taste)
- 2 Tbs tapioca starch (optional for stretchy nacho cheese, can not sub for any other starch.)
- boil the potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, onion until potato is soft.
- Drain and transfer to blender.
- Add remaining ingredients to blender with 1 1/2 cups water to thin it out.
- Blend until smooth.
- Transfer back to pot and heat on low to bubble a little.
*if you want stretchy cheese add 2 Tbs of tapioca starch to the pot and stir on medium until it clumps, lower heat, then keep stirring until it begins to stretch. Take off heat.
INGREDIENTS FOR POTATO NACHOS:
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes (sliced thin)
- 1.5 cups Cooked Black Beans (canned or homemade)
- Can of Tomato & Green Chile or Fresh Salsa
- 2-3 Avocados
- 1/4 red onion
*can use any beans you like, and top with your favorite nacho fixins’
- Lay out the sliced potatoes evenly on parchment lined baking tray. Season with sea salt, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder.
- Bake 425° for 25 minutes, then broil til browned.
- Drain and Smash black beans in a bowl with lime juice and sea salt.
- Smash pitted and skin removed avocado in a bowl with lemon or lime juice and sea salt.
- Drain canned tomatoes and chile.
- Dice red onion.
Layer hot baked no oil potato chips then the nacho cheese sauce, beans, tomato amd chile, guacamole, red onion. Season with sea salt.
Can also serve the vegan cheese sauce over brown rice. My toddler enjoys it this way!