These Lentil Burgers are so yummy. They are gluten free, soy free, oil free, sugar free, and vegan. They are low fat, protein packed, and micronutrient dense!
Lentil Burgers (gluten free, soy free, oil free)
Makes: 12 patties
- 2.5 cups cooked Green Lentils (need 1 cup dry)*
- 1.5 cups Rolled Oats
- 2 Carrots
- 3 Celery
- 3 Shiitaki Mushrooms
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 4 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp dried Parsley
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbs ground flaxseed mixed with 3 Tbs water. set aside for 5 minutes)
- 2 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbs Mustard
- 1 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
- 1⁄2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp No Salt All Purpose Seasoning (or 1 tsp Sea Salt if not salt free)
*Cook the lentils in a large lidded pot by combining 1 cup dried green lentils and 3.5 cups water. Bring to a boil then simmer with lid on for 30-40 minutes until tender. Can be made 2 days prior and kept in lidded container in fridge.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Make flax egg. Set aside.
- In your food processor finely chop all veggies.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine tomato paste, mustard, lemon juice, parsley, nutritional yeast, no salt seasoning, pepper.
- Then add the veggies, lentils, and oats. Stir. Add flax egg and stir. Should be moist and sticky. If not add more oats or tomato paste.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Form into balls then press by hand to form patties. (Refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes if it won’t form into balls.)
- Bake 30-40 minutes.
- Serve on whole grain buns or Ezekiel flourlesd bread or over rice or potatoes with shredded lettuce for a gluten free burger bowl. Top with all your favorite fixins! Don’t forget the avocado!