We layer this Casserole just like a lasagna. it is very tasty and super simple and fast to make.
My toddler Sous Chef was busy washing dishes and assisting as i put this quickly together.
To make this gluten free use corn tortillas and make sure you get the plain tempeh that says gluten free on the label.
If you aren’t a fan of tempeh you can try steaming it to take the nutty bite out of the fermented beans. Just add a thin layer of water and the sliced tempeh in a lidded pan and steam/boil for 15 minutes. I also highly recommend crumbling the tempeh in this recipe.
Makes one 13×9 Casserole. Ready in less than an hour.
- 2 packages of Tempeh (sliced or diced or crumbled)
- 2 Bell Peppers (sliced or diced)
- 1 Red Onion (sliced or diced)
- 4-6 large tortillas (whole grain or corn)
- 1 15.5 ounce can Light Coconut Milk
- 1 15.5 ounce can plain Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast (nooch)
- 1 Tbs Cumin
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tbs Lime Juice (1/2 small lime)
- 2 tsp Sea Salt (optional)
- 1 4 ounce can Mild Diced Green Chiles (optional)
- **For spicy option add 1/4 tsp ground cayenne seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Slice or dice tempeh thinly (Can also crumble it!).
- Dice or slice peppers and onion.
- Wisk all sauce ingredients in a deep bowl.
- In a 13×9 casserole dish, layer like a lasagna:
- pour a thin layer of sauce.
- layer of tortillas (strips or whole)
- add the peppers and onion and tempeh.
- add some sauce.
- add a layer of tortillas.
- add a thin amount of sauce on top with a sprinkle of peppers & onion for good measure.
- Cover and bake for 30-40 minutes.
Uncover and let Brown about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with homemade vegan sour cream and diced avocado. Salt & Pepper to taste. Hot sauce if you dare.